What does a new year mean to you? I’ve never been huge into celebrating New Years Eve and I’ve never been one to create a long list of resolutions for myself. But there is something distinct about the closing of one year and the start of another. I’ve been sitting here this morning, having my coffee and thinking about 2014 in its entirety. For me, it was a great year. I wouldn’t mind if 2015 was similarly good to me and my family. When I think of the upcoming year, I see a blank slate, filled with many opportunities.
As I said before, I never make resolutions, however I do make goals. What is the difference? Read the definitions below:
To me, a resolution would be something I’d come up with that I want to change about myself or my lifestyle. If I didn’t live up to that, then I’d have some sort of guilt or regret for not holding up to myself.
Now, a goal is something I hope to do but if I don’t, then hey, maybe next year :) In the past, my goals have included: travel more, go camping (I really dislike camping) and get together with friends more often (sad when you have to schedule that, but hey, life with little ones can make it hard to be social).
Maybe it’s just semantics, but I see a distinct difference between the two words and one makes me feel much more at ease. So, for 2015 I have come up with a few GOALS…
1. Read one book a month, a non-children’s book that is. <—- That shouldn’t be too hard, right?! Well, I think in 2014, I read maybe three books in their entirety. It’s hard for me to fit in that type of uninterrupted time in any given day, but I’m going to work hard to make that time because I really like reading and I’ve missed it since I became a mother.
2. Take a walk every day that weather permits. I always feel so good after a walk, yet it’s something that rarely crosses my mind, especially in the wintertime. My daughter suggested we go on a walk after dinner the other night and I tell you, it was the best walk I’d been on all year. It was cold, but we bundled up and we let the Christmas lights dictate our path. It was great and I want more of that.
3. Be better to myself. It seems like every day is crammed full of work, house chores, shopping/errands, play dates and more work, but I rarely find time to do things for myself. I was sick a lot in 2014 and I think a big part of that is because I run myself too thin. I stay up too late working on jewelry orders or watching a movie with my husband, even though I’d rather be sleeping. Well, in 2015, I’m going to try and keep my 10pm bedtime and get the rest I need, because without my health I really have nothing.
4. Make it to the North Shore this summer. It’s stunning up there and I haven’t been in 14 years.
5. Can 50 quarts of pickles and 25 pints of pickled jalapenos. My 2014 goal was 50 quarts of pickles too, but I think I only made 27 quarts…
6. Blog more. Work was so busy in 2014 that I put the blog on the back burner and I apologize for that. I would like to post much more frequently in the coming year.
That’s all I have so far, but I’ll probably come up with a couple more goals throughout the day.
What are some of your goals or resolutions for the coming year? Please share in the comments, I’d love to hear!